Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Augustow & Rospuda: back in Poland

The couchsurfing might be over and done with, but the hospitality is never-ending. I said bye to Dalius and Armin and got on the train back to Poland. With the school holidays having begun, the crowds were quite impressive. I don’t think that there was a single seat free in the final train across the border and into Poland.

Once in Augustow I was met by Ania, not a couchsurfing host, but in a way similar. She is the sister of some family friends back home whose contact information I had received a few days earlier and who kindly agreed to pick me up at the train station and look after me for the few hours before my kayaking tour. Again, the hospitality offered by complete strangers on this trip has absolutely amazed me. I was immediately sat down at the dinner table, where a huge selection of food was put in front of me, I was told to eat, then given towels, and told to make myself feel like at home. Thereafter I was ushered into the car and given a tour of the town and the surrounding countryside, including an exclusive stop at a private golf course. Once the tour was done it was time to head back to the house so that I could be fed some more just before being driven off to my starting point for my kayaking excursion.

The hospitality continued after my trip with a pick up at our finishing location, access to an amazing shower (after 2 days in a tent), more food as well as food packed for my night train ride to Malbork.
In instances like that there are simply no words to express the thanks and gratitude.

0 comments: on "Augustow & Rospuda: back in Poland"

Post a Comment